Consistent, reliable demand is critical for recycling to be a mature, vibrant and sustainable industry.
Be Part of the Success of Plastic Recycling
Government Recycling Demand Champions commit to purchasing products that contain post-consumer recycled plastics (PCR) in order to stimulate and create domestic markets for recyclable plastics and thereby driving sustainable plastic recycling. Any and all NEW purchases of products with PCR apply.
We welcome all state, regional, and local government entities, as well as public and private schools and colleges/universities, in the U.S. to become Demand Champions.
Members of the Recycling Demand Champion Program recognize:
- Consistent, reliable demand for recycled plastic is critical for recycling to be a mature, vibrant and sustainable industry and,
- A strong demand for recycled plastics is needed not only to maintain but also to build strong domestic plastic recycling markets.
Recycling Demand Champions look for their efforts to:
- Strengthen and increase domestic demand for residential mixed plastics,
- Help prevent “ocean plastics” by stimulating strong North American markets,
- Boost a “circular economy” for plastic packaging, and
- Mitigate reliance on export markets.
The program has two tiers for participation:
- Champions are full program participants that commit to purchasing products made with post-consumer recycled plastic.
- Advocates intend to purchase products made with post-consumer recycled plastic, but their organization is not ready to act, but will within a year of joining the program.
Your organization’s commitment to purchase products manufactured with PCR will make a significant and measurable impact to strengthen the plastic recycling markets.