APR Press Release: APR Launches Postconsumer Resin Certification Program
March 25, 2020 - APR Press Release
APR Launches Postconsumer Resin Certification Program
Groundbreaking Program to Increase Value of PCR
The Association of Plastics Recyclers (APR), today announced a process to endorse companies that provide 3rd party certification of PCR and promote APR member companies that receive certification. To support and grow the use of postconsumer recycled plastics, APR understands that it is essential that PCR certification be reliable, consistent, and accessible by both producers and users of recycled plastic resins. Through this endorsement program, APR ultimately seeks to increase supply and demand of PCR plastics.
“The intent of APR’s PCR Certification Program is to actively promote APR member companies that sell certified PCR materials,” stated Liz Bedard, APR Director of Rigid Plastics Recycling Programs. “This program was developed in response to a growing demand from APR members and stakeholders across the plastics value chain.“
As noted by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the value of a certification is the degree of confidence and trust that is established by an impartial, competent demonstration of fulfilment of specified requirements by the third party.
APR’s PCR Certification Program includes three components:
- APR endorses qualified 3rd party companies to conduct certifications.
- Plastic reclaimers hire the APR endorsed companies to certify their PCR.
- APR members present their PCR certification to APR for nationwide promotion.
California Senate Bill 270 creates standards that reusable bags distributed or sold in California must meet certain standards, including recycled content. Any plastic reclaimer’s PCR that has been certified under the State of California’s SB 270 requirements will be considered certified PCR by APR.
The primary goals of the program include:
- Provide reclaimers with confidence that the endorsed certification companies adhere to a clear, consistent definition of PCR that aligns with the ISO 14021:2016 definition.
- “Level the playing field” by endorsing multiple, credible 3rd party PCR certifying bodies that APR members and others can voluntarily utilize.
- Increase manufacturers’ and brand owners’ access to and confidence in a high quality PCR supply that meets their needs across diverse applications (e.g. olefins, other rigid plastics, flexible films).
“The APR PCR Certification Program promotes the critical link between the reclaimer actually making PCR and the customer wanting to use PCR. The program will undoubtably enhance the brand equity of PCR in the marketplace, helping to ensure that PCR receives the value it deserves,” commented Greg Janson, President of QRS Recycling and co-chair of APR’s PCR Certification sub-committee.
# # #
APR VP of Communications & Public Affairs